[pct-l] Hiking PCT in the 60's

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 19:58:52 CDT 2010

Thanks for sharing your story SteelEye.
You have inspired me to check out Jack Londons book To Build a Fire. It is availiable as an audiobook on Itunes. I shall add it to my Ipod shuffle to keep me company in the far places.
Another cool firestarter trick, made famous by "Survivor Man" is the humble cornchip. A single frito (or generic brand) corn chip burns rather well as the corn structure functions as a wick for the safflower oil or whatever they put in those things.
Also the cellophane wrapper from a box of cigarettes, when twisted tightly, burns for over a minute. Though smells nowhere near as good as the burning cornchip! I could go on but Y'all already probably have come to the conclusion I am a few marbles short upstairs!
-Iceaxe aka Pyromaniac Extrodinaire

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek