[pct-l] Pack advice

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 8 18:43:26 CDT 2010

Where do you live? I have a G4 pack you could try out if you want.

In my opinion, the ULA packs feel better on you than the G4. I have a
ULA Relay which they don't sell anymore. It's very small, almost a
daypack, but it has similarities with their other packs. The thing
that I like about the ULA packs are the way they are contour-shaped.
That makes them fit well and feel good on. They also don't turn your
back and shoulders black like my G4 did.

The G4 feels like a giant pillow hugging your body. It feels hot and
sweaty. It's a huge pack. You can carry a lot of food. You don't have
to pack your stuff real tight so your bag and jackets stay fluffy. It
was $80 when I bought it and it was well worth the money.
Underpriced, actually, considering I'm sure I could use it for
another full thru-hike.

I used the G4 last year on my big hike from Santa Barbara to Canada.
1800 miles. I really didn't think about the pack much once I got on
the trail. It served me very well.

You can't go wrong with either pack, but for either one your gear
should be as light as possible. You really don't want to carry 30lbs
in either of these packs.

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight