[pct-l] PCT Hiking in '65

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 14:25:27 CDT 2010

Steel-Eye wrote about Bradford Angier's 'Home in Your Pack":

And now for the most interesting comment; and remember this was published in
?65:

?*Appropriate Backpack Weights*?.  For backpacking, everything should be cut
down in weight and bulk to the absolute essentials?. Briefly, the total
weight of the backpack for mountain travel should not exceed about
thirty-five pounds?. As for proportions, the equipment proper in the largest
pack should not weigh over fifteen pounds ? thus allowing a food load of at
least twenty pounds.?

Dear Steel-Eye.

Thank you for reminding me that I loved reading Angier's  books.  As I recall, He and sometimes his wife stayed out for super long stints.  They kept their packweight down with old-fashioned wookcraft--tent poles, stakes, cots, sleeping pads, potholders etc were all made of wood or boughs cut on site.

For day hikes, I carry a huge knife, instead of a shelter/sleeping system, in case I ever get a somewhat ethical excuse to practice cutting up wood in this manner.

Sincerely, Lollygag