[pct-l] Snow conditions in Mammoth

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 5 10:17:32 CDT 2010

Good morning, Beeman,

Occasionally someone will carry – and presumably use – snowshoes on a NoBo
PCT hike but it’s pretty rare.  In ’98 Chris Bailey documented a crossing of
the Sierras that he and Jenelle made in a very heavy snow year.
http://www.aldhawest.org/Gazette/V4_1_Impassable.asp  As I recall they
didn’t use snowshoes.

Remember:  The depth of the snow doesn’t really matter provided the snow is
well coalesced into snowpack that can – usually – support a hiker.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264464

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264576

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Steel-Eye