[pct-l] Barrel Spring (mi 101) still contaminated

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sun Apr 4 08:31:05 CDT 2010

News alert: there are dead things in most natural water sources. This one
may or may not be worse, but dead critters are everywhere, and if they
aren't dead, they certainly still pooped in the water.

At Round Valley on San Jacinto (not on the PCT) there is a backcountry
ranger station with a faucet nearby. That faucet is signed saying filter the
water. Few do so, including at least some who work up there. But, the spring
source has been found to have critters in it consistently.

Last year I reported when dead things were found in water holes. The list
got long. I fear such reporting leads many to believe that if dead things
are reported, then that source has no dead things and therefore is safe to
drink untreated. Not true.

The work done at Barrel Spring, even if it traps critters, IS an
improvement. Before the work was done, the pipes would constantly clog,
causing the pipe to stop flowing. The clog was typically oak leaves, which
are high in tannin. When that happened, hikers would either go without,
filter (or not) from the trough (which unfortunately a few think is a
bathtub), or go up to the source spring, resulting in more contamination and
siltation there.
 The intro page to the water report does mention that dead critters are
found in many water sources. The sign at Barrel Springs does say to treat
the water.

On a related note, taping a paper sign to a tank or official sign about dead
critters may be ok, but writing directly on an official sign, tank, etc., is
not. That dead critter may be removed, but the ink marker will remain beyond
that.

AsABat