[pct-l] transport to Trout Lake

Julie Flaming julie.flaming at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 02:56:09 CDT 2010

Len, my dad drives public transit in Washington and reports that every
county has "connector" shuttle services open to the general public. In
theory if you're patient enough, you can take public transit across the
state. I've never tried it.

The sticky wicket, from what I can tell, is Trout Lake itself and Klickitat
County. The chain works pretty well to get you to the PCH in Skamania County
where it crosses Bridge of the Gods, but Klickitat County doesn't post their
info so I'm not sure how it works there and if it connects all the way up to
Trout Lake. As a more rural area, it may be easier or harder to just get a
ride.

If you were going to do the public transit route (assuming you flew into
Portland, the route would look like this:
* Take Max, Multnomah County's light rail system (trimet.org), to Gateway
Transit Center (check me on the exact center, but I'm pretty sure this is
the right one), and connect to C-Tran, Vancouver's transit system.
* Take C-tran (C-tran.com across the Columbia and east, transferring to
Skamania County's public transit (
http://www.skamaniacounty.org/public_transit.htm).
* Take Skamania County's public transit to Stevenson. ... this is where it
gets iffy ....
* Arrange for a ride through Klickitat County Senior Service's dial-a-ride
program or find out from them what other arrangements are available (They
may know of other shuttle options).  The website for senior services
ishttp://www.klickitatcounty.org/Senior/ContentROne.asp?fContentIdSelected=-2036100161&fCategoryIdSelected=1478042651&fX=X

Also, try Greyhound. The airport's in NE Portland and the same Max light
rail system in Portland will get you downtown to right in front of the bus
station for about $2.

Then again, if I had a car, I'd be happy to drive you - It's just across
from Hood River, so not that far from us here in Portland.  Maybe someone
will be able to offer some trail magic.

Julie