[pct-l] Gaiters wot make?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 3 07:15:26 CDT 2010

Good morning, Mad Hatter,

Only a few PCT hikers use the knee-high gaiters.  Some hikers only use the
high ones where they may be walking on snowpack which can scrape the lower
leg with its crust if they break through.  Other hikers claim they want to
protect their lower legs from brush. Occasionally there’s a hiker who wears
the high ones believing they will protect against snake bites.

I – and most other gaiter wearers – only want something to keep dirt and
other crud out of my low-cut sneakers.  I wear several kinds but I prefer
the light ones made of Spandex fabric.  Mine are REI Mistral stretch-knit
gaiters (2.8 oz.) with the strings that go across under the shoe sole. If
I’m wearing running shoes with flat soles the strings can wear out quickly.
Most trail shoes have a bit of instep clearance allowing the strings to last
much longer. I carry several extra sets of strings for the gaiters (0.2 oz.
per pair).  A photo of them installed can be seen at
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Many hikers wear “Dirty Girl” brand gaiters which are similar to mine except
they are kept in place with a little Velcro patch at the heal of the shoe
rather than by a string under the sole.

Welcome to the PCT and enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye