[pct-l] water Straw

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Apr 2 22:40:55 CDT 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 8:14 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I seem to recall hearing something about a water filtering straw
> that were being given to the people of Haiti.? As I understand it,
> you just stick it into the water and suck and the water you get is
> clean.? I have never heard of such a thing although it sounds ultra-
> light.? The closest thing I can think of are those water bottles
> that have the filter inside with the water and that you would then
> suck out.? If these Haiti straws were any good?I would expect to be
> seeing everyone carrying one, but I haven't heard a peep about
> them. Do any of you know anything about these things?

I don't know if you can get the same water straw as they gave to
people in Haiti, but you can get a Frontier Pro filter from Aqua Mira
that is similar. It has a bite valve and you can attach it to a
bottle and suck right through it. I bought one but never really used it.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes