[pct-l] deodorant

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 2 13:10:05 CDT 2010

Good morning, Alexandra,

On a long trail, items such as deodorant, cologne, highly-scented soaps,
etc, become scarce or even non-existent – by choice.  The story about stinky
thru-hikers is a common chuckle-point, but however true it may be, it just
isn’t noticeable among other thru-hikers.  In fact the hikers – myself
included – find the overpowering sickening-sweet odor of day-hikers and
week-enders to be very objectionable.  If that seems strange it’s similar to
what we Americans find in most places overseas; at first we may do some
nose-wrinkling, but soon it becomes almost totally unnoticeable.  By
comparison, when some of those foreign nationals visit the over-washed US,
we notice their aroma constantly because of the contrast.

This reminds me of a comment made by an accomplished long-distance hiker – I
can’t remember her trail name – about her more conventional little
sister:  When
‘sis asked about trail life the hiker just couldn’t find a way to explain
that she had hiked the entire length of Oregon without once having taken a
shower.  That’s maybe not so unusual:  There are lakes and creeks in which
to bathe.  It’s not necessary – or possible -- to step into a shower every
day.

For the ladies, leg and ‘pit hair fall into a similar category.  Pretty
quickly it just isn’t noticed.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09