[pct-l] Question about Training

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Sep 30 16:21:29 CDT 2009

Kea wrote:
> What will stop you though is foot problems.  Though your feet will
> harden up, it can be a long painful process.  For training, go for lots
> and lots of walks and hikes.

That hits the nail on the head.

The only thing that will prepare your feet is walking. There are no magic
shortcuts or clever tricks to prepare your feet.

Otherwise, be prepared to do alot of 10-15 mile days or hike with blisters
or both while your feet adapt. The further reality is you'll be doing these
short days in the hot, dusty desert not some lush, water blessed forest.
Seeing a hiker crammed under a bush or rock for shade avoiding the heat of
the day always amuses me; I'd rather be putting miles behind me than sitting
in the dirt and my own sweat.

The first 5 day leg to Warner Springs, especially if it's hot, will be some
of the toughest days of the trip. Why not prepare your body months in
advance?

-postholer