[pct-l] question about training

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Sep 30 15:32:43 CDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Jim & Jane Moody wrote:
> I just read Erik's response, as I sit here drinking beer and reading
> trail journals.  It's a huge misconception that you need to be in
> great physical condition to do a thru hike.  It helps at first, if
> you want to do big miles early, but it certainly is not mandatory.
> Just start slow and let the Trail get you in hiking shape.

For hikers on the east coast, an option is to hike on the Appalachian
trail for two or three weeks *before* heading out west to hike the
PCT.

You can easily start the AT any time in March and have plenty of
time to get your trail legs before heading out to the PCT in late
April or early May.

I started in Georgia but there are lots of places on the AT that
can be hiked this time of year.  You will need to plan for inclement
weather including snow though.

The advantage of getting warmed up on the AT is that you aren't
constrained by logistical issues of water and resupply.  It is easy
to resupply every three or four days on the AT and water is generally
not an issue.  Hike 8 miles/day if you want or 20 miles/day or
anything in between.

Radar