[pct-l] Hiking Alone

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Tue Sep 29 11:28:53 CDT 2009

I have been backpacking since 1971 and the times I have backpacked with a companion were very rare. I have had no problems whatsoever out in the woods. The only problem has come from hitchhiking--once 35 years ago being picked up by creepy yahoos who drove around on dirt roads refusing to take me where I needed to go to pick up the trail. They finally relented when I made it clear I wanted no part of partying with them.

I have enjoyed hiking alone--keeping my own pace. I now have my own vehicle and friends who support me in shuttles. I have always been conservative in my risk taking. I stay in very good shape, so have avoided physical mishaps like sprained ankles. I have worked for the park service and forest service on search and rescues so have seen the stupid things people do when outside.

I try to stay mindfull of every step when hiking--that is the key to avoiding injury. Where you put your feet down to avoid loose rocks, avoiding poison oak on the side of the trail, etc.

I would not stay home because there were no hiking companions--I believe this is just another scare tactic used by our society to try to keep people in line and domesticated in controllable situations like their homes and offices.

--Fireweed