[pct-l] Pocket mail alternative

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:28:52 CDT 2009

It worked pretty well from Campo to Upper Oregon except in the high Sierra's
and Yosemite area.  In Washington the coverage was not great.

I went about 6 days max without coverage in Yosemite and Washington.  I just
saved my journal entries and sent them when I got coverage.  The rest of the
trail it was every few days.  I would usually turn on the device when I got
to a higher peak overlooking larger valleys - and I would get the occasional
signals.  I typically updated my journal every two to four days on average.
I probably could have more often but didn't feel the need to keep looking
for signals.  I got reception in most towns and they were never too long
away also.

 If you expect always on coverage you will be disappointed (as you would
with any cell phone also).  But for journaling I found it worked great.  I
know Ice Axe, who used one of these also, had very little complaints about
coverage - he turned his on more than me looking for signals and updated his
journal even more often than I did.  He told me he thought his coverage was
as good as anyone carrying a cell phone (any carrier).

Hope that helps.

Day-Late