[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Mon Sep 28 01:09:03 CDT 2009

Sorry, Jeff that I sent this to you alone. I meant to send it to Nathan and
the List:

Nathan,

I understand about the concerns of loved ones. There is wisdom in not hiking
alone, for the obvious reasons of injury and the naive fears of remoteness.
However, for those who have tasted of the intimate relationship between man
and nature that comes from time spent alone in the midst of her majesty,
they know and understand that there is a trade-off between realizing this
relationship for themselves and the safety of a companion.

Don't get me wrong, you can have just this awareness and "oneness" with your
surroundings while travelling with another hiker, especially when you hike
apart, hike quietly together, or mutually desire this relationship and want
to share it together. This is the best of both worlds. However for many,
they can't divest themselves of the chaos and pressures of civilization
until they have been in the silence of wilderness for awhile and hiking with
another doesn't always facilitate this as quickly as hiking alone.

Take your wife with you. You don't have to go far. Show her what you've
found in the Cathedrals of Granite and meadows of green. Sharing this
together can be the best thing for the two of you.

Mtnned and Lady J