[pct-l] Camping at Monument 78

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 12:31:57 CDT 2009

Hi Gang!
I just completed my thru hike and wanted to post this info regarding camping on/near the Canadian Border. Camping at the monument itself would be rough.. You will see what I mean.
Just past the monument about .1 mile into Canada is a crude campground with saw cut log "seat" and a fire ring. About 4 miles into Canada, at the top of the last hill before Manning is the PCT campground with bear lockers and a Pit toilet.
In Manning Park itself there is a hostel run byt the lodge that was $30 Canadian. Private rooms,showers,full common kitchen area.
Rooms at the lodge were $99 Canadian during the week, just mention you are a PCT hiker.
Laundry is in the front of the "Loon Lagoon" or pool house at the lodge. Laundry has built in soap dispenser(no need to buy!)
The Bears Den Pub is closed for the season but the restaurant is open and serves beer by the glass. Otherwise you can hitch east 14 KM to a gas station to get six packs of brew.(The hitch out was easy.. Back.. Not so easy!)
Hey! Congratulations you fools! We did it!

Sent from the Trail on my Peek