[pct-l] Water in Sections A & B

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:42:32 CDT 2009

Tom wrote:

Of course, tolerance to dehydration shows very wide individual variations
and can be developed (i.e., trained).  You should be very confident that you
know your tolerance as you calculate your water needs.

Conditioning counts for a lot.  My section hike this year from Ashland to
Highway 138 north of Crater Lake was fairly dry and I noticed that I used
probably twice the amount of water that the thru-hikers I met used, despite
being in good physical shape and carrying a lighter pack than many thrus.  I
attribute that to a) me being a long-time Seattleite (my usual problem is an
over-abundance of water, not a scarcity), and b) not having four months of
trail conditioning.

Eric