[pct-l] How much water????

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Sep 11 12:34:28 CDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: CRYSTAL NEZGODA <littlevixsin at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] How much water????
>
> I am planning a section A and B hike for next season, the green pct
> book
> says to bring atleast 8 liters of water per day... so I was
> wondering if you
> guys could tell me about your experience with the desert section
> and water

Do you NEED that much water? I never did. Some people did, but not
me. If you can get some experience with understanding your own needs
when the weather is hot and dry, that'll help you. Figure out how
much you need for drinking and for cooking. I never carried more than
5.5 liters and that was always too much. Most people when they hear
the word desert imagine one of the desert scenes from something like
the Twilight Zone and that you'll be walking under baking sun in a
cactus patch with parched lips pitifully croaking, "Water water".
It's not like that. Get the data book and the water report and you'll
see how far you have to go between water sources. Then just take
enough to get to the next RELIABLE source and you'll be fine. There
really are enough reliable, non-cached sources to hike this trail.