[pct-l] How much water????

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Sep 11 12:22:37 CDT 2009

CRYSTAL NEZGODA wrote:
> I am planning a section A and B hike for next season, the green pct
> book says to bring atleast 8 liters of water per day... so I was
> wondering if you guys could tell me about your experience with the
> desert section and water

Everybody's water needs are different. On my hike of Section A last year
I was drinking about 8 liters per day, and I probably should have been
drinking more. I was able to carry 7 liters. I only remember carrying
that much twice, from the border and from Scissors Crossing. I would
drink a liter at each water source, then carry 1 liter for every 3 miles
to the next reliable water source, plus 1 liter for a dry camp.

I think most people were carrying less water than I was, some quite a
bit less.