[pct-l] How much water????

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Sep 11 12:01:52 CDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 12:44 PM, CRYSTAL NEZGODA wrote:
> I am planning a section A and B hike for next season, the green pct
> book
> says to bring atleast 8 liters of water per day... so I was
> wondering if you
> guys could tell me about your experience with the desert section and
> water

1) Try to minimize your hiking during the heat of the day (12-3).
2) Try to hike more miles early in the morning when it is much cooler.
3) Don't plan to be 'empty' at your next water source if there is
    any doubt about availability.  Being empty when you arrive at
    Lake Morena is probably OK.  Being empty when you arrive at a
    water cache or questionable water source is more risky.
4) hotter weather means you need to carry more water.

I think that in Southern California you should have the capability
(i.e. containers) that would allow you to carry 7-8 liters. This
doesn't mean you'll actually use them at all times.

It seems to me that every year I hear reports of people not carrying
enough water from the border to Lake Morena.  I've carried five
liters both times I've done that stretch with cool early morning
starts.  Anything other than that (warmer weather, later start) and
I think I would carry six or seven liters. Some years there are
seasonal water sources along the way, some years their aren't.

The actual amount of water you'll need to carry depends on the
temperatures at the time, the distance to the next *reliable* water
source, and you own physiology.

Gary Wright (Radar)