[pct-l] pocketmail setup

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 2 17:52:02 CDT 2009

Mikey,

I had all three with me even though my pocketmail did not work with my
AT&T cell phone.  I'm considering an upgrade to a text/internet capable
cell phone to replace the pocketmail for my CDT attempt next year when
I'll be needing a GPS to aid navigation.  There's a good writeup on
electronic gadgets by Gadget on www.postholer.com.

For the PCT, the SPOT served to provide peace of mind for my wife since
I sent an OK message daily at dinner time.  (Be sure to discuss what to
do if you "forget" to send the OK.)  It also gave me peace of mind
knowing I could contact help, since I started early Sobo from Walker
Pass and saw less than 10 people in my first 3 weeks to Cajon Pass.  I
found quite a few places with cell service and enjoyed catching up with
family and friends.  I journaled each evening using the Pocketmail and,
of course, also got email on it.  I would dial up the Pocketmail server
whenever I was in towns or found a pay phone to send my journals and get
my email messages.

Handlebar
AT06, PCT08