[pct-l] Bathing on the trail

dave encisco dencisco at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 13:05:43 CDT 2009

> 2.  When you do find water (except at a cache),
> fill a pot or other small
> container with a bit of water and wash (without soap)
> away from the water
> source.  You'll probably still stink, but you'll
> feel better!

Excellent advice! And if you're one of those who uses Deet and/or sunscreen during the day and then either goes for a swim in a lake or wash yourself off in a river...shame on you. You've just released zinc oxide, or titanium dioxide, or N N-diethyl-m-toluamide into a water habitat. I'd rather see someone urinate (inert anyway) in the stream than see someone washing off in the stream. This and carrying out your toilet paper are my pet peeves, although leaving your toilet paper behind is insignificant compared to releasing N N-diethyl-m-toluamide into the water.

Dave