[pct-l] pocketmail setup

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Sep 2 02:35:40 CDT 2009

On well-travelled trails like the PCT and JMT, I refuse to carry a cell phone, SPOT, or any other communication device. I go on the trail to get away from all that. Cell service along the PCT is spotty at best and greatly dependent upon which carrier you have. Murphy's Law states that if you do have an emergency, your chance of also having cell service is miniscule, so why carry the weight?

At each re-supply point, I either use a pay phone to call home (or if internet service is available, I pay to access my email) to let my wife/contact person know that at least I've reached that point alive and SAR only has to look from that point onward if I don't report in any more. Worst case scenario, I find someone else who's carrying a cell phone (and who has cell service there) and I pay them to let me use theirs. Let them carry the weight and worry about battery levels and recharging time.

If your personal or professional situation is so critical that you absolutely MUST be readily reachable at all times, then suck up the cost and carry a satellite phone, or just stay close to home. Ask yourself what are you going to do if you do get a recall notice? You're probably going to be many miles and/or several days' travel from an exit point, and even then reliable transportation from that point may well be lacking. Professionally, there is - or should be - someone at the office who is being paid to handle your workload while you're on vacation; let them do it! How can you possibly expect to relax and get the most enjoyment from your hike if you're constantly having to check your phone or Pocketmail to see if someone out there needs you?

Wandering Bob