[pct-l] PCT 2009 Compilation Video

Patrick meta474 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:48:48 CDT 2009

The danger of this route is greatly overstated, as is the case with most
things on the PCT. Having done the trail twice and seen probably eight
people go the alternate route in question, I can say confidently it is not
as bad as it looks. It does look scary but it really isn't that bad when
you're on it. I think Teatree's quote in Yogi's guide goes a long way
towards scaring people away from it. If you did the Sierras with snow in
them, this alternate is no worse.

Furthermore, if you let fear control your thru-hike, you probably shouldn't
even be out there. And most people who worry aren't -- look at all the bear
and coyote and rapist discussions that have been on the PCT.

If you're not comfortable with what is essentially off-trail travel, you
don't have to do it. But don't call me nuts because I find it enjoyable!