[pct-l] Average Minimum Daily Mileage Snow

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Wed Oct 28 16:18:56 CDT 2009

Route finding in this area is not very difficult in snow.

The terrain is quite dramatic, and it is pretty easy to get yourself
in the correct drainage, and go over the right passes.

Route finding in snow north of Interstate 80 is a mess without a GPS

And there is quite a bit of elevation change in this area, so unless
you are going in April or May, you shouldn't expect 100% coverage.

For example when I came through this area in July 1995 (northbound,) I
picked up snow below Tyndal creek, and kept it to just above Vidette
Meadows. The "transition" areas around the snow boundaries are the
most dangerous because the snow is so rotten, and they take the most
time.

Here are some pictures taken July 13, 1995
http://www.fastpack.com/brick/forester.html

If you go early enough that there is 100% coverage, then some good
mountaineering skis will really help your progress.