[pct-l] Yuppie 911

andy.hiker at ntlworld.com andy.hiker at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 28 13:32:23 CDT 2009

Maybe the way these devices are advertised and sold plays a part in who uses them and how they are used. I was surprised how many hikers carried them on the PCT. I myself have carried a sat phone on my last two hikes..primarily to send & receive texts from home but also for emergency use....if needed. I hope to never have to use it....ofcourse.
I guess if a device saves someone in trouble that has to be a good thing. However, there is no substitute for sound judgement, training and experience. I was surprised at some hikers that didn't carry a map or compass on a long hike.
Here in the UK the S&R are being called out for more rescues every year...although call outs are mainly via mobile phones I think.
It seems that the S&R are going to be busy in the future. A call out charge would seem the way to go?

Dryfoot

http://blog.andywestactive.com/blog