[pct-l] Yuppie 911

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 02:53:14 CDT 2009

>>As devices like the Spot become even more
>>affordable and much more ubiquitous, *something* is going to have to change
>>otherwise SAR will become physically incapable of responding to all calls.

Excellent post.

Despite the flip tone of my initial post, I was thinking that same thought.

These new devices are indeed valuable for emergencies...but when
they are abused, they mitigate the effectiveness for all incidents (emergency or not).

There are only so many people and so many resources for SAR.

If SPOT or similar devices are abuses, the effectiveness of SAR is going to
be compromised.  That is what is known as a Bad Thing.

As has been mentioned (and SAR personnel fear), these Yuppie 911 calls may become more
common in the years ahead.

Instant communication is expected.  Immediate action is what people expect as well.

As Ned stated, unless people treat the backcountry as something less like Disney Land
and more like wilderness, we'll indeed see more of these incidents as well.

Education about the backcountry, the appropriate fines enforced for abuse and respect
for the wild nature of the wilderness will all help.

Not sure how to do that, though. :)

FWIW...here's an NPR interview with a backcountry SAR person.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114181641

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art