[pct-l] GPS trackers used correctly

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Mon Oct 26 21:32:29 CDT 2009

Thank you!

I enjoyed watching those this year.

I own a SPoT and I know it's fun to climb on the bashing bandwagon.  I
originally bought mine for use with my Jeep.  It's very different than
having a cold night in the woods when you have an upside down Jeep
resting on your spleen in some canyon in the middle of nowhere.  And
yes, some of the people (like the people who called for help THREE
times!) abuse the device/service and should be fined or fee-ed.  I
would support that.

Still, I carry it on some day hikes (I wouldn't be surprised if more
people are hurt on "day hikes" than on all the scenic trail
combined ;-).  I have used it to let others track my progress on a
cross country drive.  I was amazed at how many people got hooked
watching the map of my progress!

If I get to "take my hike" in 2011, I'll probably be carrying one
then.  So many people are interested in the PCT as I tell them about
it and most have never heard of it - many look forward to ME hiking
it!  I'm sure there will be a gaggle of them watching it and going
"what a lazy ass!  Another nero/zero!?!?  zeesh!"

I can even point to a couple of them who might use it as an excuse
(and mechanism) to lay in wait for me as I pass near their areas and
jump out and go "BOO!"  (...schmucks!  ;-)

BillB