[pct-l] From redding.com: Amtrak shuts down direct bus servicebetween Redding and Oregon

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 11:59:09 CDT 2009

More bad news for hikers seeking to leave or enter the trail in northern California. Greyhound long ago stopped its daily service to Dunsmuir and Etna. The buses now stay on the interstate and bypass both towns.

>From Castle Craigs State Park, you must hitch into Dunsmuir to catch the train at very inconvenient hours. The Coast Starlight leaves Dunsmuir at 12:35 AM going south and at 5:04 AM going north.

There used to be - and maybe still is - a daily local bus service between Burney and Redding. It involved hitching into Burney from the PCT highway crossing or from Burney Falls State Park. In Redding, you have an airport, bus, and train stations.

Wandering Bob