[pct-l] crampons & ice axes in the Spring Sierra

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Oct 23 14:55:56 CDT 2009

OK. Lets cover this one:

As you know, we spend all winter and spring on the backcountry snow in the
Sierra from Tahoe to Mt. Whitney conducting our Snow Course classes. We've
been doing this since 1981.

Sierra snow is different from Divide Snow is different from Appalachian
snow/ice. However, when the pack starts consolidating (melting, compressing,
sticking together) in the warmth of the hot, Spring sunshine, Sierra snow
turns into, what we affectionately refer to as, "Sierra Cement."

This is what you'll experience out there in May and June:

Morning:  The top few inches of the daily, melting pack will be hard enough
in the morning to walk on freely with out any traction devices other than
the lug soles you have on your boots. If you're hiking thru the Sierra in
trail runners that have a relatively flat traction deck (no heel vertical
edge), they may slip on the surface crusty snow. There is very little "ice"
like on the AT. Some spots may have a shinny surface you can see, but you
can usually walk around it or kick steps through it (like in Forester's
chute).

The safety skill, here, is your ability to spot those areas before you're on
top of them and your ability to keep your ankles from rolling (or your
ability to kick flat steps for each footfall) when you're traversing hard
side slopes.

Hard suncups can be especially tricky when in soft shoes as you have to walk
on the narrow edges between them, slide down their bowls to the bottom, or
step from bottom to bottom, an agonizingly fatiguing ordeal.

Mid-morning:  As the snow becomes exposed to the sun, it's surface will
soften dramatically and hold your boot well on the flats. As your slope
changes, the soft stuff on top will slide on what remains of the harder
stuff underneath making for a pretty hazardous walking surface. Just make
sure each footfall is well "rooted" in the pack before pushing off to the
next. On morning climbs and descents in this snow condition, you may want to
pick a vertical route for control.

Midday:  Depending on your exposure, you may start "post-holing" about this
time of day. Your footsteps will break through the harder crust of the
surface into the wet, "airy" pack below. These plunges can be mere inches or
feet deep, even up to your groin where the only way out is to roll over. If
you are on a climb or descent, this process can be very dangerous to your
skin, knees, and back because of the sudden, jarring one-legged fall. Get
your climbs done before this point in the day. If the crust is still
composed of hard crystals, your skin can get pretty cut up as you fall
through with each step. Be careful with downhill plunge-stepping. Keep your
weight back and anticipate the plunge. If you are caught off-guard and your
weight begins to fall downhill ahead of your legs, which are now up to their
knees in the pack, you may hinge forward at the waist, torque your knee, and
fall down slope out of control to the rocks below. Learn how to avoid this
situation or self-arrest techniques to save your life.

Mid-afternoon;  The snow pack is soup. It has become so warm that you will
wish you had snowshoes to maintain a semblance of forward progress. The
afternoon will be spent slogging through the stuff and burning so many
calories that you will be eating for four. No Joke! At least with snowshoes
you will make some miles.

So, crampons are not needed. Other traction devices only ball up and, for
the most part, are just carried. We do not recommend them as they give you a
false sense of security, usually do not work well in the Sierra snow, and do
not attach well to the foot, even roll off on traverses in certain
conditions.

For the thru hiker, we do not recommend ice axes, either. We love the design
of the Black Diamond Whippet self-arrest pole. There are other similar nylon
designs, as well. Most thru hikers do not anticipate where a fall might
occur and do not have their axes in hand when they need them. The
self-arrest pole idea solves that problem-and some can be converted back to
a basic hiking stick by changing the handle. There aren't any passes along
the PCT that require ice axe anchors when climbing straight up or on steep
side traverses that one self-arrest pole in one hand and a regular,
un-strapped hiking pole in the other will not suffice.

Practice. Practice. Practice in the conditions through which you expect to
travel before you have that big pack on and can't risk a fall. Get trained
in self-arrest techniques and snow navigation skills. Walking on the snow
sounds simple, but tip it on an angle and give it a try.

It's all up to you. Be prepared. Take your time. Plan for less miles and
more calories in the snow. Beware of sun exposure, hypo/hyperthermia,
dehydration, snow blindness, and sunburn.

If you have any further questions about snow travel, camping, and thru-hiker
climbing techniques, feel free to contact us.

Mtnned & Lady J
Mountain Education