[pct-l] Gaiters (Spring)

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Oct 23 14:05:47 CDT 2009

We use gaitors for keeping snow, branches, rocks, and other little nasty
things from falling into our boots and getting under foot within.

Most anything will do. In a pinch, we've even used rubber banded, cut-open
zip-lock bags. If you're also after durability, water repellency,
ventilatability (vents that open), and a decently durable hold-down strap,
we use the Mountain Hardwear brand on all our Snow Course trips as well as
out on Search and Rescue for Douglas County, Nv. Sheriff's Office in the
high desert environment.

The main things we look for are
-durability
-ventilation
-length choices
-durable hold-down straps

We seldom, on spring snow, need water repellency, rather opting for
ventilation as ambient temps. are often quite hot.
The hold-down straps break often if you step on rocks often or do not have
recessed instep channels on your shoe of choice. So, either bring more nylon
parachute cord as replacement stock or buy gaitors with durable straps.

Mtnned
Mountain Education