[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 45

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Oct 22 20:31:47 CDT 2009

Good evening, Abigail,

If there is discussion about “crampons” it would be good to ask for a
definition before considering – or worse – acting upon any resulting
suggestions.  Most people think crampons are the traditional 10 or 12-point
full platform alpine mountaineering gear; that to the exclusion of instep
crampons or any other less aggressive type of gear.  A better topic would be
“traction aids” which could include all those items plus a few others.

The need for any traction aid is highly situational:

The more experienced one is traveling over snowpack the more likely traction
aids can be left behind.

The seasonal snowpack depth and character differs from year to year.

Individual hikers vary in their appetite for risk.

Some people are less coordinated or agile than others.

The use of trekking poles, etc, can obviate the need for traction aids in
some instances.

Some hikers are less concerned about weight than others.

Some of my opinions can be seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09