[pct-l] help

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sat Oct 17 10:04:29 CDT 2009

Randy Fitch wrote:
> I am a first time PCT hiker and plan on doing a thru hike starting in
> the beginning of May 2010, and I am looking for some advice. I am
> really some what new to mountain hiking in long distance and I am
> reading so much material on the trail, so I would like to get some
> first hand feed back!! I am looking at the Golite Quest at 3lb 3oz,
> and the Pinnacle at 2lb even. Are these good packs and considering
> the weight difference is the quality better for a little heavier
> pack?

The pack is a very personal thing. You need to get the pack that fits
you best, and fits your gear best. In general, you want to go with the
lightest piece of gear that will do the job and that you can afford.

A pack that doesn't fit you, or help you carry the weight well will make
your hike miserable. A pack that is too small will not carry your gear.
Most people suggest that you buy your other gear first, then get a pack
the fits you and your gear.

> Also what is the average suggested weight for a thru hiker to carry
> minus food?

Averages vary widely. In 2008 people staying with the Manns averaged 18
pounds, but that is heavy by through hiking standards. Some people are
able to get under 10 pounds, but it takes a lot of experience for most
people to be able to do that. If you try to get under 15 pounds, you
should be OK.

Remember that ANYTHING you put in your pack will be carried a lot more
than it will be used. Are you really willing to carry this item ALL DAY
for the 10 minutes of use you get out of it at the end of the day?

> And for sleeping bags, i see many people concerned with the bags
> getting wet and   i am wondering where to lean on bags. Synthetic or
> down and can i use the same bag for the whole trip? or should i use a
> quilt?

Some people use quilts, but most use bags. There is a potential problem
with the bag getting wet, but that is primarily on the last 500 miles of
the hike. It isn't worth carrying an extra pound of sleeping bag through
the California deserts because you will probably get rained on in the
north Cascades.

Rain can come at any time on the trail, but the persistent, cold rain
that makes a hike miserable will wait until the last three weeks or so
of the hike. Southern California rains will generally last a short time,
and you will have opportunities to dry your gear soon after. Northern
Washington rain is a different matter entirely. You also need to be
prepared for Sierra stream crossing, where your entire pack will be
susceptible to a good dunking if you lose your footing.

I would suggest taking the down bag, then keeping it dry as though your
life depends on it.

> As far as cooking, me and a friend had talked about the 'Bushbuddy'
> and using natural fuel resources with some back up esbit tablets.

How much time do you want to spend gathering fuel every day? Do you know
if this system will be legal in all areas?

> For a thru hike is this a concern and should we consider a different
> fuel in favor of the element variances?

Alcohol is readily available through the entire trail. The weight of an
alcohol stove is almost negligible. I would suggest making a few
different designs, then pick the one you like best. Also don't rule out
esbits. Some people prefer them over alcohol.