[pct-l] Sky Lakes Wilderness (Deems)

Alan Artman alanartman at msn.com
Fri Oct 16 13:45:11 CDT 2009

Great pictures, Deems, as always.

In a 1997 hike of the Oregon PCT, I camped at Stuart Falls (about halfway,
as I recall, between Devil's Peak and Crater Lake, but a short detour off
the PCT).   Stuart Falls was beautiful, a little sister to Mt. Hood's Ramona
Falls, the same sort of sparkling cascade.  I took a picture,  which I later
showed in a presentation I made about the PCT.  After my talk, a woman in
her late 70s I'd guess, came up and told me that the Falls were named after
her father-in-law, who had had heart attack and died while camping there in
the 1920s.  She thanked me because she had never actually seen the Falls.  I
asked Eric Valentine to make a copy of his excellent photo of the Falls, and
I sent it to her.

This little story is of course all I need to segue into my annual plea to
the next year's PCT class (2010, are you there yet?) to be sure to make the
tiny detour off the "official" PCT to see Ramona Falls, with its amazing
show of the dappled light coming through the trees on a sunny day.  Then
continue down beautiful Ramona Creek (which has a couple of wonderful
campsites just barely visible on the right about a mile down), and pick up
the official PCT again at the junction of the "temporary" reroute, about two
miles down from the falls.  Check out Erik the Black's PCT Atlas for the
route.

Wait, there's more! Blame it on the changing weather, I suppose, as well as
Deems' pictures, but now I've gone all reflective.

I went to a reading the other night from a new book, "Timberline Lodge: The
History, Art, and Craft of an American Icon", by Sarah Baker Munro.  (2009,
Timber Press)  Sarah is a good friend; her office was across the hall from
mine in the law firm we worked for during the past 15 years.  Many were the
nights and weekends she burned the midnight oil in the creation of this
book, which came about from her involvement in Friends of Timberline since
the 1970s.  Although I've been to Timberline A LOT over the past 40
years--including partaking in the famous buffet breakfast during my
attempted thru-hike in 2008--I've learned a lot from Sarah's book that I did
not know, or knew only superficially.   Timberline Lodge is an amazing
story--actually two amazing stories:  first, the building of the Lodge
itself in the 1930s as a WPA project, and second, the restoration of the
Lodge in the 1950s by Richard Kohnstamm, who obtained the permit to operate
the Lodge and rescued it from the deterioration and abuse it had suffered
during the 40s and early 50s.  Now, especially now in these difficult times,
I find inspiration in the story of Timberline as the ongoing fulfillment of
the dreams of a number of people, over many years, against great odds.

So here's my second suggestion to the Class of 2010 (of which I hope to be a
member!):  after you've had your fill at the amazing Timberline buffet
breakfast, resolve to spend an hour or so looking around the Lodge.  Watch
the 10-minute documentary downstairs on the building of the lodge, maybe
catch the Ranger's tour, check out the small museum.  It's worth your while.

Hope to see you on the Trail next year!

Alan Artman (Patchwork)

PS:  And if I ever learn who Ramona was, I'll be sure to pass that along to
you!