[pct-l] Send Me Your Stories

Rees Hughes Rees.Hughes at humboldt.edu
Fri Oct 16 10:56:30 CDT 2009

Now that backpacking season for most of us is coming to an end for 2009, I want to encourage you to think about writing up one or more of your stories from your PCT day, section, or thru hike.  My colleague, Corey Lewis, and I continue to move forward on our "Pacific Crest Trailside Reader" project, a two-volume collection of real trail stories, some historical accounts, and some classic environmental literature.  We have collected many absolutely wonderful stories (on everything from encounters with bears to dramatic rescues, from stories of trail magic to conquering one's fear, from the first day on a thru hike to surviving a storm near Ebbetts Pass . . . and many more).  The stories should be between 1,000 - 2,000 words in length and sent directly to me at hughes at humboldt.edu.  If you have an idea for a story, feel free to e-mail me and I can give you some guidance (it may be a topic that we have already covered . . . can't have too many bear stories). If you have a good story to tell but no prior writing experience, we are more than willing to work with you.

Rees Hughes
(Team Geezer)