[pct-l] water and walking

Abigail Wilson abiwlsn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 10:25:05 CDT 2009

Hello all!

I'm planning my first thru-hike and wanted to feel you out on a couple of
things.  I orginally planned to do the AT, but have become increasingly more
obsessed with the PCT and am trying to figure out how much my assumptions
should change.  I'm trying to go as ultralight as possible.

First off, do most PCT hikers wear boots?  Trailrunners are more popular on
the eastern trail, but it seems that all the snow and rockier terrain (esp
the Sierras) would require more support.  Is it reasonable to start in boots
and switch to lighter footwear after the Sierras?

Also, I'm looking into water purification options.  Has anybody used a
Steripen for a thru-hike?  They seem like a great, but unreliable, idea.
What's given you the most success?

This list has been really informative already - thanks for all the sharing!
If you have any other general advice, don't hold back!  You can email me
directly too, if you want.

Abi, NC