[pct-l] Recharging I-Phone on trail

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Mon Oct 12 20:14:45 CDT 2009

While MotionX and Accuterra are usable, they would fall short of
combining Topo Maps and Gaia GPS.

The MotionX map data is missing a lot of information, backcountry
roads and trails; while Gaia GPS has the needed features of MotionX
GPS and better maps.  (MotionX GPS has a little bit better "zoom" on
their maps, but I think I'd rather have the data.)

Even with the HD maps of the Big Bear area for Accuterra, it TOO is
missing data.  It zooms better than MotionX and GaiaGPS, but Topo Maps
can zoom to ridiculous levels.  With the inability to load tracks and
waypoints, but download maps and chart your current location - Topo
Maps tracks closely to what AccuTerra offers and the maps are free.
(Granted, sometimes the Topo Maps app has problems moving from
disjointed downloaded map areas.)

So to recap, Gaia GPS instead of MotionX and Topo Maps instead of
AccuTerra.  It's worth a look and not terribly pricey - $10 for the
pair.

While AccuTerra seems cheap at $.99, I've bought two maps for about $4
more.  That's maps from just north of Campo to about Mt Baldy.

BillB