[pct-l] Update: Tazul is doing better

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:41:55 CDT 2009

Howdy folks,

As the season starts to close I wanted to pass along a status update for Jim
Nee (a.k.a. Tazul).  His daughter MJ wrote me recently and I've spoken to
him on and off since his fall last August.

"GREAT news: Dad is out of the leg AND back brace. He still has pain and
reduced mobility in his left shoulder which looks like it's a rotator cuff
injury. The x-ray showed no bone damage, and he's scheduled for an MRI on
Saturday. He's been working on building up his upper body strength and
hopping on crutches, walker or wheelchair up and down the halls. He gets
tired easily but he's still very positive. He has one more appointment to
look at his leg at the end of the month, when they will determine for sure
when he can put weight on his right leg. But the neurology team has given
their blessings for him to travel back to California. So, we're looking at
him returning the end of October/beginning of November.
He's still in good spirits and is progressing more and more each day.
Although he does not see his progress in the astounding light that I do, I
remind him that he'll probably be hiking the PCT in a year, hopefully with
you as his trail buddy!"

As always, Jim would appreciate your good wishes.  This is the hard part of
a recovery, especially for folks who like to get out on the trail.  All that
work inside isn't very appealing.

Happy winter, we've got snow falling below 2K here in Washington today.

Matt Thyer