[pct-l] Sheep Fire and the PCT

james8313 @dslextreme.com james8313 at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 12 00:51:18 CDT 2009

At one time I was paid to make Maps and have always used data tables etc.
Therefore
I have been working on a Set of PCT Maps and a Data File for my future PCT
hikes.
It Includes GPS Data, trail grade, expanded WP's to fill in long segments &
information such as water, campsites, vegetation and other info that is of
interest
to PCT hikes.  Part of the information will be Data on Trail Closures,
Detour's,
Alternate Routes and Previous Fires,

This information will be available to anyone that has a interest.

Here is my interruption of the Sheep Fire October 2009 - PCT Section D

4 Seperate trail segments were within the Burn Area approx 7.25 miles total
distance between milepoints 348.0 and 361.1

Locations interperted from Inciweb Maps and National Geographic Topo Maps
and Waypoints & Maps found in the Southern California PCT Guide.

Milepoint 344.9 Section D Begins

1st Burn Area - 5.4 miles total
East Edge of Fire begins at milepoint 348.0 - 3.1 miles into Section D
This point is approx .7 mile past the 2nd Powerline Waypoint D-3 (3600-1.2)
Approximately .6 mile Burn Area followed by a .4 non burn section followed
by a 4.4 mile burn area. This includes WP D-4 (3560-3.1) Swarthout Canyon,
D-5 (3700-.5) and about 1/2 way up to the top of Blue Ridge to milepoint
348.0 @ 4500' in a gully east and below the Horseshoe on the Truck Road.

2nd Burn Area - .25 miles
On Blue Ridge at milepoint 356.1 - .3 miles past WP D-7 (5260-1.0) - gap in
the ridge below Truck Road and for the next .25 miles.

3rd Burn Area - .7 miles
This Burn Begins at milepoint 358.3 where the FireBreak was located on the
Northeast Ridge from Peak 6429 located were the corners of Sections 25 26 35
36
meet and extends to WP D-8 (6300-3.2) PCT crosses the Sheep Creek Truck Road
3N31.

4th Burn Area - .9 miles
This Burn Area begins at milepoint 360.2 - .1 mile past WP D10 (6480-.9) at
the
end of the road just east of Gobber's Knob.  It extends to Milepoint 361.1
located
on the East Ridge from Peak 6966.

This information will be updated when the area can be entered and field
check for
the actual sections that were within the Burn Area.

I will be posting similiar info on the Other 2009 Files as review the
information
that is available
.
Yosemite James