[pct-l] Temperatures in Section A in early March

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Fri Oct 9 15:32:13 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Jim BayGarden <jkeener at baygardeners.com> wrote:
> I am wondering about what temperature extremes from Campo to Warner
> Springs to expect in early March.  ? ? ?

I'd say you'd be safe figuring the max in the Scissors Crossing area
could be near 100F, and the minimum in the Mt Laguna area might be 20F
with 50-70 mph winds and blowing snow. I've gone XC skiing in Mt
Laguna in early March...

Basically you could get almost the entire set of extremes for a
thru-hike in section A that time of year.

That being said, it can also be pleasant and mild the whole way that
time of year, and the Mt Laguna section runs close to the Sunrise
Highway, so if the weather gets nasty, it is an easy bail out.

Also, since most of the bad weather comes from the Gulf of Alaska,
there is usually plenty of notice before bad storms. If you are
flexible, and can change your plans with the weather forecast, that is
a great time of year to hike that section.

HYOH.