[pct-l] sierra snow travel planning

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Mon Oct 5 14:01:15 CDT 2009

Tamsin McMahon made an important point in her recent email, that the spring Sierra snowpack is not "impassable" as is often feared by fellow hikers:

 "In some fashion, I plan to finish this trail and I hope all this snow talk is like the rumor mill at Kennedy Meadows back in June - the number of people who said the Sierras were impassable this year could populate a small country. We made it through, even up Whitney in the snow."

We, at Mountain Education, teach snow camping and safe snow travel skills through the winter and spring. I have hiked, skied, and snow shoed the Sierras, tip to tail and have not encountered a situation that, with a modest amount of common sense and the requisite skills, experience and wisdom, I could not continue through. A summer hiker facing a spring snowpack out of Kennedy Meadows and having already come all the way up from Mexico has much of what is required to pass through it unscathed. But not all.

There is much advise we would like to pass along to all aspiring thru hikers to help them get through safely, but words do not help like real experience and practice in the snow. So, as you plan your future thru hike, do not be daunted or afraid of entering the snow, just beware of the techniques that work to help forward, safe progress during the day over the snow and learn how to deal with the creek crossings. The snow may not be your biggest hazard. Sure, some people have died falling through frozen lakes or have been severely hurt post-holing, but the whitewater crossings of what were expected to be little creeks have caused the same and few plan or train for them. Read trail journals and other accounts of what others had to deal with and take local outdoor education courses this winter. Keep in mind that snow in the East is not the same as snow in the West, but some experience is better than none.

We offer free Snow Courses twice a month, Dec. to May, to thru hikers in the Tahoe area to teach you the skills needed. Drop us an email if you have any questions, or visit Postholer's forum on the subject of snow travel techniques.

Mtnned and Lady J