[pct-l] Heavy Snowpack Prediction

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Oct 2 11:02:27 CDT 2009

Good morning, Chris,

As important as water is to the economy of California it is understandable
that they would have massive quantities of data and the very best available
seasonal predictive methods.  California water resource managers are
primarily concerned with reservoir reserves, but to predict reserves it is
necessary to closely follow the mountain snowpack accumulation in the
numerous major river drainage systems, mostly flows that drain the Sierras.

As with most technical investigations, the difficulty is seldom due to a
lack of data but due to an inability to understand and appreciate the
significance of the data we know have.  Two significant data sources are the
Department of Water Resources, California Data Exchange Center Menus:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/ , and,
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/lsproducts  Those hundreds of esoteric
reports are nauseating in their abundance and detail, and reading them will
likely require more time than actually hiking the PCT.

You can find data concerning the presence of El Niño and La Nina ocean
conditions through the years but the question remains how those conditions
equate to actual snowpack accumulation in the mountains.  One very practical
graphic history of western snow accumulation can be found at National
Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Mountain Snowpack Maps for the Western
United States:  http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/westsnow.pl  At this
site look at the May selection button for the various El Niño and La Nina
years in question.  The mountains of California, Oregon, and Washington show
an astounding swing in snowpack accumulation among the last 10-15 years.  Roll
the dice and guess what will prevail in 2010.

The data I like to follow for the current year’s Sierra snowpack is a graph
that plots the seasonal snowpack reporting between October 1 and the
following September 30.  The 2008-2009 seasonal graph can be seen at:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2009.pdf   I haven’t
yet found the posting of the 2009-2010 graph.  It will probably be titled
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/PLOT_SWC.2010.pdf , but we are
now only two days into the new water season.  The current year’s chart is
usually updated approximately daily, and I like to view the progress of the
current year compared to selected previous years.  The graph may evolve high
or low, but the important question is what the snowpack level may be at the
calendar point when I intend to enter the South Sierras.

Good luck.  I find it great fun to follow the seasonal graphs.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09