[pct-l] Basecamp searched

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Oct 1 17:22:19 CDT 2009

Hi Anna,

If you can't find someone to ship resupply parcels for you, it is possible
to do it completely unsupported. In fact it's pretty easy to do.

As Radar suggested, you can buy food as you go. This is actually a much
better idea than shipping yourself food, because it gives you flexibility in
your diet when your tastes and calorie needs change (which they will).

For the most part you will do the entire trip using the same gear. You can
store small items (like replacement batteries, spare socks, map pages, water
purification, etc.) in a "bounce box" that you send forward to yourself
every few towns. (Most hikers use a 3gal or 5gal plastic paint bucket for
this and send it by Priority Mail to take advantage of free forwarding, when
unopened)

When/if need replacement gear some trail-towns and nearby large cities have
outfitters. You can order gera online or by phone and have the retailer send
it "General Delivery" to one of your upcoming resupply stops. Places like
REI.com, Backcountrygear.com and Backcountry.com are used to dealing with
thru-hikers and can send you stuff on the trail, as will many smaller
outfitters.

The few large items you have to be concerned with receiving mid-hike are a
bear canister and ice ax (and possibly a warmer jacket) for the Sierra, and
replacement shoes every 400-900 miles.

You could order the ice-ax and bear canister from REI.com when you get to
the Saufley's and have them ship it to Kennedy Meadows General Store. Then,
when you are done with the Sierra, just ship it home (or donate it to the
loan program).

Jim Payne/PITA runs a PCT bear canister loan program. I'm not sure the
specific details of how it works, but I know they loan out canisters to some
hikers for free (minus return shipping). I donated my bear canister last
year. You can contact him for more details. (enyapjr at comcast.net)

You can order shoes from REI.com, NBWebExpress.com or most online retailers
and have them sent to you on the trail. Just order a week or two in advance
of when you need them, and verify that they are in-stock when you place your
order.

(I'm not sure if you will run into problems ordering stuff with a Swiss
credit card, but it seems like it probably wouldn't be an issue.)

If you are planning on using a canister stove, here is a list of places
where you can (usually) find isobutene canisters on the PCT:

http://www.pctatlas.com/fuel.htm

There are a few stretches where you will have to carry an extra canister or
two, or ship fuel to yourself. It's a hassle to ship fuel canisters, but it
is possible. There are just some special Postal regulations that need to be
followed:

Ken & Marsha have a write-up on shipping fuel here:

http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm

You can also go with an alcohol stove (although they suck, in my opinion)
and buy fuel in hardware stores and auto shops along the way.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

I agree with Radar's recommendation of Yogi's Handbook to help with your
pre-hike planning. You can get her book here:

http://www.pcthandbook.com/

Happy trails!
Erik the Black
www.pctatlas.com