[pct-l] Tarps + tarptent = Duomid

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Nov 30 20:19:38 CST 2009

I used a tarp in the mid-70s and on the PCT, one I made by hand on my Mom's
Singer. Then I went thru a few decades of tent pounding and testing on my
wilderness adventures. But I never forgot my light handmade tarp (which I
still have). I discovered Tarptent when a friend carried a Squall on our
2002 Wind River Mtns trek. I've since carried the Tarptent Squall, and the
Rainbow under severe rain and wind conditions, and each is a reasonable 1.5
to 2lbs of wt. In the wilderness, each showed its inherent strength, and
weakness to me in time. The weakness I found was under severe winds which
led me to find a more stable wind shelter. I am always seeking shelter, and
in 2009 I chose the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid, during it's introductory
period. I have found the Duomid to be a superb shelter for bugs, space,
wind, and rain and it's weight is a minimal 16oz. Why trust a tarp in severe
conditions when you can be totally secure under a pyramid of protection.
http://mountainlaureldesigns.com/