[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarptent

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Nov 30 18:54:38 CST 2009

I just want to correct a misunderstanding on your part.  My bivy sack (MLD superlite bivy) weiighs 6.9oz and not 16+oz  as there is no need for a full blown waterproof bivy sack and you shouldn't be getting one that weights > 8oz to use with a tarp).  It even has a side zipper for easy entry.  The total weight of my tarp (MLD Grace Solo in Cuben Fiber) + bivy is <15oz and that includes all my stakes (includes extras stakes), cord and stuff sack which many shelters seem to ingore in their weight specs.

I just like the versatility of the tarp/bivy combo.  I'm mainly a tarp camper due to laziness as I hate camp chores like setting a tent up; though the weight was also a factor.  Thus, I normally cowboy camp which is why I like the bivy sack; you throw it on the ground with your sleeping bag and your camp is set up.  The tarp is only for bad weather and rarely gets used, but when it does, it is more then adequate.  On the PCT this year, I only used my tarp about 9 times for weather.

However, there are a few nice tarptent like shelters in the pound range and there is nothing wrong with using a 24.5oz Contrail Tarptent, but I'd rather save the half pound and the setup time.  But I also recognize that not everyone is comfortable using a tarp and there is no right answer for everyone.

-Miner