[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarptent

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Nov 30 15:21:17 CST 2009

Bivys can be a bitch to get into and out of unless you go for a side zip.

I'd suggest you consider a sleeping bag (or quilt) with a microfiber outer shell to make it windproof and water-resistant. Then get the larger, 2-person tarp and skip the bivy sack entirely. The larger tarp will give you a huge sheltered area for one + gear.

For example, using Mountain Laurel Designs, the added weight and cost to go from a 1-person tarp to the same tarp in a 2-person size is:

- cuben fiber tarp adds 1.8 oz and costs $20 more
- spintex (spinnaker) tarp adds 3.2 oz and costs $10 more
- silnylon tarp adds 6.5 oz and costs $40 more

IMO, only the silnylon tarp adds significant weight and cost, but the additions are still less than the cost and weight of a separate bivy sack.

YMMV.