[pct-l] Tarp Experience?

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 08:40:05 CST 2009

This a good idea also.  A bivy does add a little extra warmth on those chilly nights.  Also helps keep the ants out.  Just have to decide for yourself what is the best system.  I use a Tyvek ground sheet now which saves a couple ounces from the plastic sheeting I was using, and seems to be tougher.  I noted that Eric mentioned a bigger tarp than mine, and mine.  That would be nice as while 5x8 seems to work OK, and is about the same size as the poncho/tarp hybrids, I did keep checking to make sure I was dry whereas a foot longer and wider would be pretty nice.  But the bigger the tarp, the more of a sail it is in the wind.  Set up becomes rather crucial if the wind starts top blow.  Getting the thing nice and taught is good so it wont flap.
I used the heavier Advanced OR bivy, and still do sometimes when I want that extra warmth but actually prefer the tarp if I expect rain.
If you've ever been stuck in the rain in a bivy with no place to cook or relax, especially if it's buggy out, you'll understand that it pretty much sucks.  Having a big roomy bug net and a tarp in these conditions is like checking in to your own private suite in the backcountry.  Luxury.  Nothing comparable.  But keep in mind whatever system you decide on, you have to carry all day every day and set it up and take it down every morning and night.  One nice thing with a trap is if it is pouring rain youj can make a quick pitch and have a little respite for lunch.  Same with the net if it's really buggy.  Tents and the high end Gortex bivies trend towards the heavy.  The tarp and net are a 1/2 lb lighter than using just the Advanced Bivy, but the bivy has it's advantages for me when climbing and off trail stuff when I just plan to find a nook somewhere and throw down at the end of the evening.  I haven't used either of my tents out hiking in years though when hiking with a friend and we split it up it was pretty nice to have sometimes.  I wouldn't carry one by myself anymore until they get a nice roomy full mesh tent down to 1-1/2 lbs.