[pct-l] Tarp Experience?

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Wed Nov 25 23:19:59 CST 2009

I used a tarp on my Pacific Crest Tail thru-hike and continue to use it for
all of my longer hikes.

The tarp I have is a Granite Gear White Lightning 8'x10'. It is a little
heavy as far as tarps go (around 18 ounces). If I were to buy a new one I
would probably go with something a bit lighter (but the same size) like a
Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn.

I have used my tarp in snow and rain and it has always been a great shelter.
MUCH better than a tent or tarptent. The best thing about a tarp is it
provides a lot of room underneath for you and your gear, so you can hang out
inside during bad weather without going nuts from claustrophobia. You can
also cook under a tarp.

In really nasty weather I will pitch the tarp using all 8 guylines with
heavy rocks over the stakes. I use trekking poles or a nearby tree (or a
combination of both). I have never had it fly away in the wind using this
method.

I use a Gossamer Gear spinnsheet ground cloth underneath it and have never
wanted a "bathtub floor". In heavy rain I just dig a small trench around the
perimeter using a stick to direct running water away from the groundcloth.

You can pitch it low to the ground in heavy wind or rain or pitch it higher
up for good views and cross-ventilation in better weather. I use the "Ray
Jardine" method for pitching and it's quick and easy to set up that way.

The only thing that sucks about using a tarp is there is no bug protection.
You can buy mesh bug tents to attach underneath or small bug bivies that go
over your head when you are in your sleeping bag.

I have tried every type of lightweight shelter and for my money the good old
fashioned two-person tarp is still the best shelter for a long hike.

-Erik the Black
www.blackwoodspress.com

Message: 7