[pct-l] Why Hike Wet at all?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Nov 25 00:59:49 CST 2009

I realize that it may not be realistic to consider this take on the subject,
but how about not hiking in the rain at all?

When I planned my schedules for the pct and cdt, I made my daily mileage so
low that I could easily catch up to it if I had to wait out multi-day rain
events. I was able to allocate 5 1/2 months for the crest and 6 months for
the divide. Daily mileage for the crest was 17 while actual was 24, so it
didn't take long to catch up to a day or three off for rain. Even for
afternoon thundershowers, if I called it quits during the storm, pitched the
tent and cooked up a hot meal inside, I was easily able to restart after it
ended (if I felt like it!) and hike 'till sunset.

With intentionally low planned average daily mileage requirements and a
stronger and stronger body the further north I went, the more miles I was
naturally accomplishing in a given day over my planned average, so I was
usually ahead of schedule and, thus, had lots of extra time to sit out
storms, do wilderness laundry, climb peaks, go fishing, enjoy extra days at
pretty lakes, and so on.

Hiking in the rain with a poncho worked for me, but I rarely had to do it.
I'd rather take a hot lunch and a nap! So, more planned trail time solved
this one.

Did anyone consider your caloric requirements necessary to hike hard enough
to keep you warm when wet? Did you plan for this contingency and bring extra
food? The same issue exists for hiking in soft, afternoon snow and enduring
the exhaustion of postholing.

Mtnned