[pct-l] Hiking wet

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 23:36:51 CST 2009

Like Steeleye, I favor something along the line of a poncho (he says parcho,
similar item).

Not to stir up further FAQ debate, but the FAQ does have an entry on this:
http://postholer.com/faq.php#rain

This entry, perhaps like many (most) looks at this point to be just one
persons attempt at a balanced perspective; it doesn't seem complete to me,
but I think that over time FAQ entries can and should be extended to include
various viewpoints (which is why I raise this again).

I don't agree with the FAQ entry that a poncho is necessarily "a bit
unmanageable in strong winds" --- with a simple belt of some sort, I see a
poncho as effectively a nicely ventilating (albeit somewhat short sleeved)
rain jacket mated to a rain skirt.   If the weather isn't too cold, a poncho
and shorts are a good combo.  If too cold for that, add a layer of some sort
(maybe just a wind shirt) to torso, perhaps add rain chaps or relatively
tall gaiters.    As I think others have mentioned earlier on this general
topic, "staying dry" is a chimera if hiking for any length of time in wet
weather; it's about temperature control.

Hiking "style" relates too; if more or less comfortable on the move in rainy
weather, I'm likely to get cold if stopped for too long.  So one approach is
to minimize breaks, maintaining body temperature through more or less
continuous energy output.  It's certainly not the only approach, but I think
this points out that whichever approach a person uses will definitely impact
the type and amount of raingear that's desireable.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle