[pct-l] Creek Crossing Course Coming

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Nov 24 20:34:50 CST 2009

Back in 2006, we conducted a brief creek crossing class just north of
Kennedy Meadows that was featured in Squatch's PCT DVD from that year.

What we will do is video-document all the crossings from KM north to Donner
Pass next May and June when we are collecting data and filming for our PCT
Snow Guide book to be published thereafter. It would be logistically
difficult to teach every hiker every season how to cross nasty creeks unless
we actually lived along the trail to educate the herd as it moves north.

For now, find a source that describes how to do it and go out and carefully
practice the techniques.

A word of caution regarding the use of ropes to "self-belay" across.
According to our Search and Rescue Swiftwater Rescue Instructor, the use of
a rope tied off to you only serves to drag you under the current should you
fall. Don't use this method.

Mtnned